The General Store & Museum Gift Shop
Along the winding paths of the Historic Village at Allaire, towering as high as the large sycamore trees alongside it, is the Allaire General Store & Museum Gift Shop. The Allaire General Store, also known as the the Howell Iron Works Company Store, Has been retailing for more than 175 years! As a testament to its innovative construction the General Store, built in 1835, is the largest structure still standing at Allaire Village. Outfitted with goods imported from New York City and beyond, the General Store was one of the largest retail opperations in the State of New Jersey and made James P. Allaire's Howell Iron Works a self-sufficient community.
On Wednesdays, Weekends, Event Days and other weekday openings throughout the year, patrons are invited to reminisce and enjoy a unique shopping experience.
Holiday items and changing merchandise displays help to create a new look for all seasons. Some of these items include:
- Unique items made by our Allaire Artisans. Blacksmiths, Tinsmiths and Carpenters
- 19th century toys and games
- Handmade crafts from the Allaire Village Auxilliary
- Old fashioned candy and nostalgic goodies
- Artwork prints and engravings of Historic Allaire Village
- Historical documents and maps of Monmouth County
- Soap, Candles and other merchandise made here in New Jersey
- Books for all ages. Non-fiction, historical fiction and children's classics
- Books about New Jersey and by New Jersey authors
- Pottery, glassware, & lanterns
- Bonnets and hats for children and adults
- Collectible Holiday Ornaments by Old Word Christmas
- That perfect gift for the bride and groom
- Souvenirs to remember your visit to the Historic Village at Allaire!
Allaire Village Logo Tote Bags!
* Special Store Autumn Feature: Cheerful Giver Candle Jars, "Revere" & Tin Lanterns, and Early Lighting Items *
GENERAL STORE GIFT SHOP HOURS:
January & February: Closed except for Historic Events and Re-enactments
March: Wednesday 10 AM - 4 PM and Weekends 10 AM - 4:30 PM
April: Wednesday & Friday 10 AM - 4 PM and Weekends 10 AM - 4:30 PM
May: Wednesday thru Friday 10 AM – 4 PM and Weekends 10 AM – 4:30 PM
Memorial Day to Labor Day: Open DAILY
* Monday & Tuesday - 10 AM - 2 PM
* Wednesday thru Friday - 10 AM - 4 PM
* Weekends - 10 AM to 4:30 PM
Labor Day to December: Wednesday & Friday 10 AM - 4 PM, Weekends 10 AM – 4:30 PM
*Schedule Subject to change, check back for the latest updates or call (732) 938-3311*
Look for our Online Store Coming Soon!
Historic Chapel Keepsake Ornament
The Historic Village at Allaire First Edition 2011 Christmas Ornament is now available at the Howell Works General Store Museum and Gift Shop for $17.95. Layered in gleaming 24 karat gold, the 2011 ornament depicts the historic Christ Episcopal Church Chapel, built by James P. Allaire at the Howell Works Company in 1832 and completed in 1834. The Chapel, built in two sections, served as the spiritual center for the iron community as well as the public meeting hall and village school.
To contact the Allaire General Store & Museum Gift Shop please call 732-938-3311